MBSC run a sailing course each year, over a three week period in June/July. The course caters for sailors ranging in age from seven to eighteen and provides a variety of ISA Certified Levels to suit particular ages and sailing ability. You can find all the Sailing course application forms on the “Forms” page here.
The ISA levels are as follows:
- Cara Na Mara – Otters: This programme is aimed at the 7-10 year olds. It provides a child centered approach to introducing children to sailing and the marine environment. It is run under the supervision and leadership of ISA instructors and all children will receive ISA certification upon completion of the course.
We will be running the OTTER Syllabus.
- Level 1: Start sailing. Beginners level. Sailors with no sailing experience.
- Level 2: Basic skills. Sailors become more competent at basic sailing manoeuvres.
- Level 1 & 2 (combined): Start sailing and Basic skills (over 12s only).
- Level 3: Improving skills A. Sailors focus on rigging, capsize recovery, sailing knowledge, boat handling, coastal knowledge and weather.
- Level 4 – Racing: Sailors specialise in racing preparation and techniques. Modules include, Kites & Wires, Advanced Boat Handling, Go Racing 1.
The instructing team is highly motivated and talented and ensures safety, learning and fun for every sailor at all times. Mornings are full of energy, with everyone arriving at the club for 9:30 and hopefully down the slip and onto the water shortly after, led by the enthusiastic team of instructors. Lunch time is a great highlight, with a well deserved break and a catch up with everyone in the park. Back out on the water for the afternoon for another session full of fun and learning.
Friday’s are jam packed with fancy dress and the ‘Junior Champs’ (involving every member of the course racing together for fantastic prizes). The sailing course day out is yet another fun and exciting adventure.
Overall the course is a fantastic experience for every member, developing advanced sailing skills and social skills while making new friends and having fun along the way. There is no better way to spend three weeks on the water!